Yet another fail
Another day, another week and… another act of kindness. But what? Having exhausted my own bank of ideas that I could feasibly do today, I returned to google for inspiration. The same old sort out things popped up, so I just picked one of them and rolled with it.
I took out my phone and started crafting a friendly and polite message which went as follows:
Hi there, just to say I hope you had a good day and I wish you a happy Christmas time and all the best for the New Year. (You don’t know me and I don’t know you, just a complete stranger hoping to put a smile on somebody’s face today). 🙂
I then sent the same message to 30 completely random numbers and waited.
Nothing. The most likely outcome is that I sent the messages to unassigned numbers. Another possibility is that the recipients considered my message as annoying spam. Either way, even though the intention was kind, the whole exercise was pointless, so I went back to the drawing board.
Eventually I came across a suggestion so simple yet perfect: acknowledge somebody else’s kindness. So I would like to take this opportunity to publicly express my gratitude to a few people now, whether they see this or not.
- To my lovely parents for helping me out with more things than I could list here, for generally putting up with me and for just knowing when I’d love a cup of tea.
- My dear friend (who I am sure would prefer to remain anonymous) for helping me prepare for an interview in French. (If you speak French and are interested in make-up, check out her blog here).
- To my college “husband” Ben for his constant enthusiasm and infectious zest for life.
- To Mr Paley for making me get some fresh air today despite usually being as indecisive as a sloth.
- And last but certainly not least to someone else who shall not be named. You know who you are, and I am eternally grateful for everything you did.